Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Heartbeat (Dad)

Instead of labeling these entries with 'PB', I'm going to start using 'Dad'. Though next year will technically be my first Father's Day, I got some nice cards and well wishes this past weekend which got me to thinking that it's okay to officially refer to myself as "Dad". Anyway, this dad got to hear his child's heartbeat for the first time last night, and if things were more hypothetical up to that point, hearing the physical evidence of my child's existence certainly made it more real. At first, I thought I was hearing Danielle's heartbeat. I wanted to ask the doctor how she knew it was the baby's, but I suppose the whole microphone on the lower abdomen as opposed to the chest is a giveaway. There's definitely a heartbeat coming from Danielle's belly! I had expected it to sound somehow smaller. Weaker, I guess, though only due to the baby's size, but I was pleasantly surprised. That was one strong beat, as loud and clear as could be!

So Baby Bishop is the size of an orange this week. THAT'S the part that hasn't sunk in yet. Danielle is showing, but not enough that I can imagine an orange-sized baby inside. I can't wait for our next ultrasound. I think that'll be the moment when it really hits. Or maybe not. I don't know. We're in uncharted territory here.

No comments:

Post a Comment